With the world turning to banana bread these days, I wanted to take it to the next level. How, might you ask? Imagine for a moment if banana bread and sticky toffee pudding had a baby — and you’ll get this delicious Baking Therapy upside-down banana cake. It’s moist, covered in the most delicious toffee sauce and looks pretty impressive if you ask me! I know you have a bunch of overripe bananas lying around your kitchen, so what are you waiting for?
Banana Upside-Down Cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 45 to 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8 pieces of cake
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 bananas, sliced
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup neutral oil
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2-3 bananas)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium saucepan on medium-high heat, whisk together the following toffee ingredients: butter, brown sugar, cream, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil and let bubble for 1 minute. Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Pour 2/3 of the mixture to a 9-inch pan and set aside to slightly cool.
3. Arrange the sliced bananas tightly on top of the toffee sauce in the pan.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, melted butter, oil, egg, buttermilk, mashed bananas and vanilla extract until smooth.
6. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined. Transfer the batter to the pan and distribute evenly so that the bananas are not disturbed. Smooth out the top and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick when inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
8. Run a knife around the perimeter of the pan to release the cake. Place a plate slightly larger than the pan on top and wearing oven mitts invert the pan quickly. If the cake is stubborn, insert a knife on the side of the pan to release the suction. Serve with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and a drizzle the remaining toffee sauce.
Source: Food Network Canada